Saturday, December 10, 2011

Show N' Tell



Well guess what folks...I did it! Officially finished training and took the step from being a trainee to a volunteer, as my Pops would say, "ay ay ay!" The ceremony was on Thursday and the new volunteers celebrated that evening by having a dance party at a nearby hotel in Bafia. Moving to Dir early next week and am currently in the regional capitol of the Adamoua. I know a few of you have been asking for photos so I figured I would take advantage of the good internet connection to share some snapshots of the past couple of months:



 
       A view of Bokito, note: the village boys playing soccer in the background & the girl carrying  
                                       things on her head like it was no big deal!



 
         My host family! The two older boys are missing from this snapshot, but essentially this was the gang that I hung out with for 3 months. In the green shirt eating is Nick (16), in the head
wrap is Fabiola (21), the blue traditional dress is Jordan (17), the one planting a smooch is Patrick
                              (14), and in her workout clothes is Merveille (20).

        Merveille in her typical position as she cooks a meal for the family over the open fire. Note
             her munching on some corn (during season its an easy appetizer for most any meal!)


           A favorite activity in the Bogo household, the kids teaching me their dance moves! In this
                                  shot, Nick is teaching me some hip-hop moves.

         Patrick fell in love with my bike (provided to me by the Peace Corps!) and he would take it for rides once I got home from school. Side note: pink bucket in the background is where I did my
            laundry and also took my baths (although I would move it inside for bathtime!)


A picture of the chicken comitee happily eating pre be-heading. If you look closely you can see in the second picture that the chickens have been defeathered and we're getting ready to gut them! Also note the crazy hair design that Jordan gave me for the big day!



Blessing, one of the many village tailors, who quickly became our favorite. Many morning breaks were spent sitting and visiting with her.


                     The Bogo's dog, Reigne, had puppies about two weeks before I left!


         Most of the Sante trainees celebrating Halloween (note pirate patch in the background) at
                                                      a local bar in Bokito.


My host mother, Mama Bogo Therese, and I on the day of swearing-in!

           Post taking the Peace Corps Oath: 22 new-fresh-off-the-grill Sante volunteers! (A tradition here is that for any big ceremony, i.e. marriages, funerals, graduations, reunions, people
                 buy matching fabric and make uniforms...thus the matching clothes!)

           A glimpse of the train up north. Every hour or so there is a stop and local villagers come
            running up to the train with all sorts of goodies on sale...the original drive through!

No comments:

Post a Comment